Early Childhood Funding Eliminated in Governor’s Proposed Budget
Yesterday, Governor Quinn proposed a version of the budget that COMPLETELY ELIMINATES FUNDING for critical services for young children and their families. The budget:
- Eliminates the Early Childhood Block Grant, forcing 100,000 children out of preschool, cutting services for infants and toddlers, and causing more than 5,000 teachers to lose their jobs.
- Eliminates healthcare for 300,000 children and 175,000 parents.
- Cuts $769 million from the Department of Human Services, affecting more than 100,000 people.
- Cuts state agencies’ funding by 37 percent.
- These cuts and others would devastate efforts to close the achievement gap for low-income children and severely impact the most vulnerable families in our state.
We need you to take two urgent actions today:
- Call Governor Quinn at (217) 782-0244 and voice your opposition to any cuts in the Early Childhood Block Grant.
- Email <http://advocacy.ounceofprevention.org/site/R?i=ievnckag4k6T4HpFYm6pDQ..> or call<http://advocacy.ounceofprevention.org/site/R?i=t6U1AxYhb-yNbz_Y4l1X4Q..> your legislators and urge them to do the following:
- DO NOT pass a budget with cuts to early childhood programs including:
- * Early Childhood Block Grant funded through the State Board of Education
- * Home Visiting funded through the Department of Human Services, Healthy Families and Parents Too Soon budget lines
- * Child Care
- * Children’s Mental Health
- Reform the Illinois revenue system <http://advocacy.ounceofprevention.org/site/R?i=12LV3uWvPDgxm-1xuJWeQg..> so that we can collect enough funding to adequately support early childhood programs.
- Tell leadership that you oppose the cuts and that you support revenue to fully fund programs for young children.
To prevent these devastating cuts, you can also:
- Forward this e-mail<http://advocacy.ounceofprevention.org/site/R?i=uGI09RTPDTfSnk3av–TBw..> and encourage all your friends, family, coworkers, board members, and program participants to take action to protect funding for early childhood programs.
- Write a letter to your local newspaper <http://advocacy.ounceofprevention.org/site/R?i=zd_k7hnJ7DzVfYGBiuhACA..> so that legislators feel pressure from the community as a whole, including the media.